Skip to main content

Serie A : Italian government sets May 18 return for football training

Italian prime Minister Giuseppe Conte announced that professional sports teams can resume training on May 18, while individual sports can resume practice on May 4.

There are hopes Serie A fixtures could resume between 27 May and 2 June – with an end date for the season of early August.

However, there was no formal announcement on the possibility of when Serie A might resume, even behind closed doors i.e without fans in the stadium

Conte said that starting on Monday, Sports Minister Vincenzo Spadafora “will work intensely with … the soccer system, the professional sports in general, to find a road map that we have already partly defined in terms of the resumption of individual training on May 4 and teams on May 18.

“Then we’ll evaluate if the conditions will allow the leagues that were suspended to be completed,” Conte added. Serie A has been suspended since March 9, when the government ordered a nationwide lockdown due to the coronavirus emergency.

The Italian Football Federation (FIGC) hopes to begin testing players for the virus at the start of May to allow for a safe return to training and has already drawn up a medical protocol.

For the start of training, each club will form a group of players, technical staff, doctors and physiotherapists who will be tested and then isolated in a summer-style training camp.

There are also plans to donate five Covid test kits for each kit used by clubs to avoid the criticism that football is taking away much-needed resources from other areas.

Serie A was suspended on 9 March and a number of players tested positive for the virus. The league has insisted it is committed to finishing the season.

The FIGC had earlier announced that it would push back the formal end of the season from 30 June to 2 August to allow time for remaining games to be completed.

There are 12 full rounds and four outstanding fixtures still to play, with Juventus top, a point ahead of Lazio.



https://ift.tt/35eSDfl

Comments

Related Posts

Why Marc Cucurella buried coin in pitch before Spain's World Cup final as 'secret' 2010 ritual comes to light

Marc Cucurella’s unusual act of burying a coin in the pitch before Spain’s World Cup final has been explained as a lucky ritual dating back to the nation’s 2010 triumph. Former defender Joan Capdevila revealed he asked Cucurella to continue the superstition, with Spain again lifting the trophy after a 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/nb0Kv2R

Trump said same seven words to every Spain and Argentina player after World Cup final, claims lip reader

Donald Trump reportedly repeated the same congratulatory message to every Spain and Argentina player during the FIFA World Cup 2026 medal ceremony, according to a professional lip reader. The US President allegedly told each player, “You are a champ” and “Amazing player” while presenting medals following Spain’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina in the final. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/8AH14Yf

'Weren't you going shave off all your hair?': Spanish princess embarrasses Ferran Torres over bizarre World Cup promise

Ferran Torres delivered Spain's World Cup-winning goal, but his funniest post-tournament moment came during a royal reception when Princess Leonor reminded him of a pre-tournament promise to shave his head if Spain lifted the trophy. The Barcelona forward laughed off the question, while several other Spain stars still face unusual challenges after their historic triumph. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/HrxGSmy

'I need help': Spain World Cup winner appeals directly to President Donald Trump after US entry denial

Spain legend Joan Capdevila says he has been denied permission to enter the United States ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup final and has appealed directly to Donald Trump for help. The 2010 World Cup winner had hoped to watch Spain face Argentina alongside his former teammates, but claims his ESTA application was rejected, leaving his travel plans in doubt. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/9jyl1sV

FIFA President Gianni Infantino travelled almost three times the Earth's circumference during the World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino's extensive private jet travel during the 2026 World Cup has sparked criticism over the governing body's environmental credibility. Reports estimate his flights generated more than 1,020 tonnes of CO₂e, prompting campaigners to question FIFA's sustainability commitments. While FIFA defended the travel as operationally necessary, the controversy has intensified scrutiny of football's climate responsibilities and leadership. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lWn9TIK