Skip to main content

Cricket : Former Pakistan captain Salim Malik apologizes to nation on match fixing

Former Pakistan cricket captain, Salim Malik, on Sunday apologised to the nation over match fixing after long 19 years and said he was ready to reveal all the secrets linked to the match fixing due to which he was banned for life.

“I am very sorry for what I had done 19 years ago. I am ready to extend unconditional cooperation to the International Cricket Council and the Pakistan Cricket Board in this regard,” he said here in a video message.

Salim Malik, 57, was found guilty of match fixing and was banned for life after a judicial inquiry in 2000 in a scandal that rocked the cricket-mad nation. Australian cricketers trio of Shane Warne, Mark Waugh and Tim May had accused him of offering them bribes to underperform during their tour of Pakistan in 1995.

His ban was lifted by a Pakistani court in 2008 but the decision was not endorsed by the Pakistan Cricket Board (PCB) or the International Cricket Council (ICC).

The former middle order batsman, who played 103 Tests and 283 One-Day Internationals in a career that stretched from 1982 to 1999, said he was also ready to cooperate with the anti-corruption unit of the ICC to provide them information in match-fixing scandal.

He said under the human rights laws, he also deserved that his case be considered on humiliation grounds as he had suffered a lot due to the mistake he committed long ago and spent 19 years of life in wilderness being away from the game.

Salim Malik applied to be Pakistan’s batting coach in 2012 and was also in contention for the head coaching job at the National Cricket Academy in 2008 but was overlooked on both occasions as the ICC did not endorse lifting of his life ban by the court.

He said that other players guilty of match or spot fixing had been allowed to return to sport and in the given circumstances he also deserved a second chance to re-start his cricket career, now this time in the role of a coach.

“Mohammad Amir, Salman Butt, Mohammad Asif and Sharjeel Khan have been playing but I have been ignored and not considered to become a coach of players,” he said. Butt, Asif and Amir were banned for five years in a spot-fixing case in 2010, while Sharjeel was handed a similar sentence in 2017.



https://ift.tt/3bBNJvj

Comments

Related Posts

Why Marc Cucurella buried coin in pitch before Spain's World Cup final as 'secret' 2010 ritual comes to light

Marc Cucurella’s unusual act of burying a coin in the pitch before Spain’s World Cup final has been explained as a lucky ritual dating back to the nation’s 2010 triumph. Former defender Joan Capdevila revealed he asked Cucurella to continue the superstition, with Spain again lifting the trophy after a 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/nb0Kv2R

Trump said same seven words to every Spain and Argentina player after World Cup final, claims lip reader

Donald Trump reportedly repeated the same congratulatory message to every Spain and Argentina player during the FIFA World Cup 2026 medal ceremony, according to a professional lip reader. The US President allegedly told each player, “You are a champ” and “Amazing player” while presenting medals following Spain’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina in the final. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/8AH14Yf

'Weren't you going shave off all your hair?': Spanish princess embarrasses Ferran Torres over bizarre World Cup promise

Ferran Torres delivered Spain's World Cup-winning goal, but his funniest post-tournament moment came during a royal reception when Princess Leonor reminded him of a pre-tournament promise to shave his head if Spain lifted the trophy. The Barcelona forward laughed off the question, while several other Spain stars still face unusual challenges after their historic triumph. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/HrxGSmy

'I need help': Spain World Cup winner appeals directly to President Donald Trump after US entry denial

Spain legend Joan Capdevila says he has been denied permission to enter the United States ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup final and has appealed directly to Donald Trump for help. The 2010 World Cup winner had hoped to watch Spain face Argentina alongside his former teammates, but claims his ESTA application was rejected, leaving his travel plans in doubt. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/9jyl1sV

FIFA President Gianni Infantino travelled almost three times the Earth's circumference during the World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino's extensive private jet travel during the 2026 World Cup has sparked criticism over the governing body's environmental credibility. Reports estimate his flights generated more than 1,020 tonnes of CO₂e, prompting campaigners to question FIFA's sustainability commitments. While FIFA defended the travel as operationally necessary, the controversy has intensified scrutiny of football's climate responsibilities and leadership. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lWn9TIK