Skip to main content

ECB Issues : More bad news for England Cricket Board as David Warner says ‘tour unlikely’

The England & Wales Cricket Board (ECB) is due to face more challenges. After postponing first summer series against West-Indies and all cricket till July now they face a fresh challenge associated with Australia tour of England.

Australia opening batsman David Warner has said that the side’s upcoming tour of England and Scotland is unlikely to go ahead due to the coronavirus pandemic. Australia is slated to play against Scotland in a one-off T20I on June 29 while the side is scheduled to take on England in three T20Is and three ODIs from July 3. England has already pushed the start of their domestic season to July 1 and the Three Lions’ series against West Indies set for June has been rescheduled. But Warner feels that the Kangaroos will not travel to England in the current circumstances.

“At the moment it’s highly unlikely we’re going to go over there given what’s happened in England,” cricket.com.au quoted Warner as saying.

“No doubt at all, you want crowds no matter where you go and where you play,” Warner said.

“I love playing in England, it’s awesome. You’ve always got someone they always try and rev up, and fortunately for the team it’s pretty much just me, and that takes a lot of the heat off the other guys,” he added.

UK’s Prime Minister Boris Johnson had also tested positive for COVID-19. Warner said that the coronavirus remains a serious problem throughout the world and there are far important things than just sport being played.

“He’s back up on his feet now and that’s fantastic news, but there’s a lot more to this than just sport being played,” Warner said.

England Cricket Board’s Summer in trouble

The series against the West-Indies team is already postponed. Now the big question in front of ECB is how to save the entire summer amid Covid19 threat. Post the West-Indies series in June, ECB is due to host Australia for 3ODI’s and 3T20 games in July. In August – Pakistan is scheduled to travel to England for 3 Test matches and 3T20 game series followed by short series against Ireland.

June – 3 Test vs W.I (Home) – Already Postponed
July- 3Odi/3T20 Aus (Home)
Aug- 3T/3T20 vs Pak (Home)
Sep – 3Odi vs Ireland (Home)
Oct – 3Odi/ 3T20 Ind (Away)

Why for ECB entire summer season is important ?

ECB from this summer onwards is starting a new media rights deal with BBC and Sky Sports. Both the deals put together are slated to bring USD 1.35 billion to ECB coffers over the next 5 years. The new media rights deal starting from this summer will mark the return of live televised English international and domestic cricket to the BBC for the first time in 21 years, while Sky takes its partnership with English cricket into its third decade. If any of the scheduled matches this summer gets cancelled then straightway it will impact the balance sheet of ECB.

Other than this ECB will also have to take loses from their deals outside UK with Sony Pictures Network in the Indian Sub-Continent, BeIN Sports in Middle East and various other territories. Under the circumstances the biggest challenge in front of ECB is to somehow save its summer.
Meanwhile Warner further says that for world over the big challenge is to overcome Covid19 and flatten its curve, than only normalcy can return.

“The biggest picture is making sure we’re doing all the right things we can to flatten this curve and doing what we can do to play our bit in that. We’ve done a great job so far and all Australians should be credited,” he added

The Sunrisers captain for IPL 2020 season, Warner was last seen in action during the first ODI of the three-match series against New Zealand earlier this year. After the first ODI, the series was postponed due to COVID-19.



https://ift.tt/3eVeUDv

Comments

Related Posts

Why Marc Cucurella buried coin in pitch before Spain's World Cup final as 'secret' 2010 ritual comes to light

Marc Cucurella’s unusual act of burying a coin in the pitch before Spain’s World Cup final has been explained as a lucky ritual dating back to the nation’s 2010 triumph. Former defender Joan Capdevila revealed he asked Cucurella to continue the superstition, with Spain again lifting the trophy after a 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/nb0Kv2R

Trump said same seven words to every Spain and Argentina player after World Cup final, claims lip reader

Donald Trump reportedly repeated the same congratulatory message to every Spain and Argentina player during the FIFA World Cup 2026 medal ceremony, according to a professional lip reader. The US President allegedly told each player, “You are a champ” and “Amazing player” while presenting medals following Spain’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina in the final. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/8AH14Yf

'Weren't you going shave off all your hair?': Spanish princess embarrasses Ferran Torres over bizarre World Cup promise

Ferran Torres delivered Spain's World Cup-winning goal, but his funniest post-tournament moment came during a royal reception when Princess Leonor reminded him of a pre-tournament promise to shave his head if Spain lifted the trophy. The Barcelona forward laughed off the question, while several other Spain stars still face unusual challenges after their historic triumph. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/HrxGSmy

'I need help': Spain World Cup winner appeals directly to President Donald Trump after US entry denial

Spain legend Joan Capdevila says he has been denied permission to enter the United States ahead of the 2026 FIFA World Cup final and has appealed directly to Donald Trump for help. The 2010 World Cup winner had hoped to watch Spain face Argentina alongside his former teammates, but claims his ESTA application was rejected, leaving his travel plans in doubt. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/9jyl1sV

FIFA President Gianni Infantino travelled almost three times the Earth's circumference during the World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino's extensive private jet travel during the 2026 World Cup has sparked criticism over the governing body's environmental credibility. Reports estimate his flights generated more than 1,020 tonnes of CO₂e, prompting campaigners to question FIFA's sustainability commitments. While FIFA defended the travel as operationally necessary, the controversy has intensified scrutiny of football's climate responsibilities and leadership. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lWn9TIK