Skip to main content

Dhoni has to play more matches to play T20 World Cup: Kapil Dev

The legendary Kapil Dev is not excited about Mahendra Singh Dhoni’s return to action during the IPL, saying the league is for future stars and suggested that he should play a few matches to be considered for selection in India’s T20 World Cup squad.

Dhoni will start training for his much-anticipated return to action in the Indian Premier League (IPL) from March 2 amid never-ending speculation on his career, which has been on hold since last year’s ODI World Cup.

The 38-year-old Chennai Super Kings captain, who led India to two world titles, has not played since the World Cup semifinal loss to New Zealand last year and has maintained a stoic silence on what his next move would be.

He was dropped from the BCCI’s list of centrally contracted players in January.

“It’s not just Dhoni who is playing the IPL. I am a person who look for a young player who we can be proud of in the next 10 years. I think Dhoni has already done so much for the country,” Kapil said during the fifth edition of HCL Grant event here on Thursday.

“As his fan, yes (would like to see him playing the T20 World Cup) but as a cricketer I think it all depends on the management. He hasn’t played for one year. He should play more matches to be in the team. There shouldn’t be different parameters for different players,” the 1983 World Cup winning skipper said.

“He is on his last leg. I am his fan so I would love to see him but in IPL I am looking for the next generation.”

Kapil is also not bothered about Jasprit Bumrah’s form in the ongoing tour of New Zealand, saying the speedster needs just a good wicket-taking spell to get his mojo back.

“When you go through an injury it takes time for the body. For a person who has proved it at the big stage, it doesn’t take very long to come back,” he said of Bumrah, who is returning from a back injury and went wicket-less for the first time in an ODI series.

“As batsman we say you need one innings to comeback to form, and for a bowler you need one good spell to be back. He needs couple of wickets to comeback.”

The 61-year-old former all-rounder rued the fact that in-form K L Rahul was ignored for the first Test in Wellington, which India lost by 10 wickets.

“Only team management can answer that. What we see is totally different. When the selectors sit they have lot of things to look into,” said Kapil.

“Yes, in our time it used to be ‘man in form he should play’ but this is a new breed of cricketers and they have their own rules.”

Kapil said India need to learn from its mistakes in the opening Test and come out harder at New Zealand in the second game to start in Christchurch on Saturday.

“Haven’t we won bouncy wickets before? In Perth or Melbourne or Durban. We have done this before, so I am not concerned if you say you can scare somebody with the short ball,” he said.

“They are professional, they understand the game and they will come out much harder in the next Test. If not then give all the praise to the New Zealand team.”

The cricketing great is also not worried about skipper Virat Kohli’s form during the first Test.

Kapil also lauded the Indian women’s cricket team for making it to the semifinals of the ongoing ICC Women’s T20 World Cup in Australia.

“They (Indian women) are playing well. The age has come up where we start looking at the women’s performance also,” he said.

“I would like to give a lot of respect to the BCCI for giving opportunity to girls and all the facilities which the girls require. Our girls are handled much better now than 15 years back.”



https://ift.tt/2vqG8Qe

Comments

Related Posts

'Weren't you going shave off all your hair?': Spanish princess embarrasses Ferran Torres over bizarre World Cup promise

Ferran Torres delivered Spain's World Cup-winning goal, but his funniest post-tournament moment came during a royal reception when Princess Leonor reminded him of a pre-tournament promise to shave his head if Spain lifted the trophy. The Barcelona forward laughed off the question, while several other Spain stars still face unusual challenges after their historic triumph. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/HrxGSmy

Why Marc Cucurella buried coin in pitch before Spain's World Cup final as 'secret' 2010 ritual comes to light

Marc Cucurella’s unusual act of burying a coin in the pitch before Spain’s World Cup final has been explained as a lucky ritual dating back to the nation’s 2010 triumph. Former defender Joan Capdevila revealed he asked Cucurella to continue the superstition, with Spain again lifting the trophy after a 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/nb0Kv2R

Trump said same seven words to every Spain and Argentina player after World Cup final, claims lip reader

Donald Trump reportedly repeated the same congratulatory message to every Spain and Argentina player during the FIFA World Cup 2026 medal ceremony, according to a professional lip reader. The US President allegedly told each player, “You are a champ” and “Amazing player” while presenting medals following Spain’s 1-0 extra-time victory over Argentina in the final. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/8AH14Yf

FIFA President Gianni Infantino travelled almost three times the Earth's circumference during the World Cup

FIFA President Gianni Infantino's extensive private jet travel during the 2026 World Cup has sparked criticism over the governing body's environmental credibility. Reports estimate his flights generated more than 1,020 tonnes of CO₂e, prompting campaigners to question FIFA's sustainability commitments. While FIFA defended the travel as operationally necessary, the controversy has intensified scrutiny of football's climate responsibilities and leadership. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lWn9TIK

CWG boxing: Jadumani Singh seals dominant 5-0 win over Pakistan's Sumama Rehman to enter quarter-finals

Jadumani Singh Mandengbam advanced to the men's 55kg boxing quarter-finals at the 2026 Commonwealth Games after defeating Pakistan's Sumama Rehman by unanimous decision. The Indian boxer will face England's Ellis Trowbridge for a guaranteed medal. Elsewhere, Lovlina Borgohain has already secured at least bronze, while Sachin Siwach also progressed in Glasgow. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/o2ZMheT