Skip to main content

First amputee player signed for world’s top sporting league

Date

Central Florida line-breaker Shaquem Griffin will be the first player with a permanent physical disability to get a contract in the American National Football League.

The Seattle Seahawks have has signed Shaquem Griffin in the fifth round (141st overall) of the 2018 NFL Draft. Griffin, who lost his left hand at the age of 4 because of a rare condition before birth, quickly became an inspiration to others with disabilities, official NFL website nfl.com has reported.

“That was the phone call I was waiting my entire life,” Griffin said regarding the call he received from Seahawks general manager John Schneider when he was drafted. “I literally broke down after that. I couldn’t breathe. I didn’t know how to talk, I mean, I was just lost for words.”

The 6-foot, 227-pound Griffin dazzled at the NFL Scouting Combine with a blistering 4.38 time in the 40-yard dash, which ranked first among linebackers present in Indianapolis. He also posted 20 repetitions on the bench-press event.

Seattle’s selection on Saturday also produced a family reunion, as the Seahawks selected cornerback Shaquill Griffin, who was born one minute before his brother, in the third round of the 2017 NFL Draft. Shaquill said he frequently lobbied the Seahawks’ brass on his brother’s behalf.

“I was using the restroom, and my brother came and tackled me with my cellphone, saying ‘Answer it, answer it!’” Shaquem Griffin said while waiting for a ride back to AT&T Stadium where he would do several media interviews during the final day of the draft. “I looked, and that’s when tears just started pouring down right then and there. I literally went into the restroom and my brother busted in and tackled me. I think I was more scared of him tackling me in the bathroom for not knowing what’s happening, than anything. That’s how it happened,” Seahawks official website has quoted Shaquem as saying.

Shaquill Griffin, who was in Dallas with his brother, did not deny this intrusion.

“It was crazy,” the Seahawks corner said. “He wasn’t really looking at the phone anymore, I wasn’t looking for it. He got up to go to the bathroom, and then it was a couple picks away, and then the phone rang, and I saw the 425 Area code. I know the 425, the 206, I know the area codes for Seattle. When I saw that, I grabbed the phone and jumped over everybody else on the floor, and went to the bathroom—I’m glad he didn’t lock the door—I went into the bathroom and grabbed him, ‘What are you doing, you have to grab this.’ I said, ‘You don’t have time for this.’ I handed him the phone, and that’s how it went.

Asked to confirm that he actually tackled his brother, Shaquill said, “Yes, I needed him to be focused.”

The post First amputee player signed for world’s top sporting league appeared first on InsideSport.



https://ift.tt/2Fsqt1O

Comments

Related Posts

Trinity Rodman's US Open moment reveals an old habit in sports broadcasting: introducing women by their relationships first

Trinity Rodman was introduced at the US Open as Ben Shelton’s girlfriend, frustrating fans who felt her Olympic and football achievements deserved greater recognition. Despite being an Olympic gold medallist, NWSL champion and highest-paid women’s footballer, Rodman was presented through her relationship with Shelton. The incident reignited debate over how female athletes are introduced and recognised. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/VHgl2km

Shelton’s Selective Brand Fortune: Slim deals power wealth beyond $15m prize money; net worth seen at $4m–$8m

Ben Shelton's net worth is estimated between four and eight million dollars. He has secured lucrative brand deals with Rolex and On Running. These partnerships are strategically chosen for authenticity and long-term growth. Shelton's career prize money has already surpassed fifteen million dollars. His marketability stems from athletic skill, youth, and personality. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lh6AXHE

Kelce Charity Spending Scrutinised: Watchdog questions foundation’s low charity outlay; team pledges reforms

Travis Kelce’s Eighty-Seven and Running Foundation is facing scrutiny over its reported spending between 2021 and 2024. The nonprofit raised $1.5 million and spent about $1.1 million, with $469,000 listed for management and $446,000 for charity. Kelce’s business manager Aaron Eanes disputed the figures, saying some charitable operational costs were misclassified. He said management fees dropped to zero in 2025 as the foundation works to improve transparency and governance. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/bfRerhz

Dylan Larkin Trade Speculation: Bruins’ bid reportedly blocked by no-trade list; search for center continues

Boston Bruins reportedly made a trade offer to acquire Dylan Larkin from the Detroit Red Wings. The offer was rejected, with speculations suggesting Larkin's preference for a fresh start elsewhere. Larkin provided a list of teams he is willing to join, excluding the Bruins. Meanwhile, the Bruins are focused on strengthening their center position for upcoming competitions. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/0jXpnwl

ईशान किशन ने अपने ही पैर कैसे मारी कुल्हाड़ी, टेस्ट का सपना देखते थे अब T20 से भी होंगे OUT!

Ishan Kishan: भारतीय क्रिकेट टीम के उभरते हुए विकेटकीपर बल्लेबाज ईशान किशन टी20 इंटरनेशनल में अपने फॉर्म को लेकर संघर्ष कर रहे हैं। हाल ही में समाप्त हुए न्यूजीलैंड के खिलाफ तीन मैचों की टी20 सीरीज में उन्होंने पूरी तरह से निराश किया। तीन मैचों में ईशान सिर्फ 24 रन बना सके। https://ift.tt/Ywn9PVs