Skip to main content

Goodbye 2017, hope ’18 is as good: Federer

Perth, December 30

At the fag end of possibly the most amazing year of his storied career, Roger Federer has indicated that though he’s in his 37th year, he has no plan to stop playing.

“I always hoped, when I became the world No. 1 for the first time in Melbourne in 2004, that hopefully, I’ll be able to play for a long time,” Federer said today at the Hopman Cup. “And if that’s the goal, I’d have to do it this way... If I have only one more year to play, then I’d just go all out and forget about fitness, almost, and just play tournaments instead of going to the practice courts.”

He said the injury he suffered in Australia in 2016, which led to a six-month layoff, impacted his thinking. “I (originally) thought I was just going to be able to play freely through my career and just do it till the end,” he said.

Changed mindset

“But through the injury I sustained here a couple of years ago, my mindset has changed,” he said. “I think I have to be more careful about my planning... I was already somewhat careful beforehand. I was a big believer in taking breaks and making sure I take my necessary vacations, that inflammations heal, give yourself some time.”

“That’s what you should anyway do if one of your goals is longevity,” he said, adding: “And longevity was always a big part of my game.”

More quality

“I’m working a little bit different, which is nice, because it’s another change in my life,” the 19-time Grand Slam champion added. “It’s another routine. I probably work less, but even more quality. So it gives me more time off. So essentially, I’m working half days, if you like, because there’s no point for me to put in all the mega-hours anymore, because I know I have it in the vault... I have it there if need be.”

“That’s why it was very important for me to prove to myself at the Australian Open this year, to win those three five-setters that I had, to win two five-setters that I had at the US Open,” Federer said, referring to his Australian Open win and the run to the US Open quarters. “I won all the big matches when it came down to the crunch. So I know I can do it, the important thing is to just stay injury-free.”

Too fast!

Talking about 2017, Federer said it zipped away too quickly. “It’s been a dream run... It’s gone by too fast,” he said. “When you’re having fun, things go too fast! But what a year it’s been! I couldn’t be happier. Such a huge surprise. I’m healthy, had a great off-season. I’m pleased to have had the year I had. Hopefully, another good one maybe this year (2018).” — Agencies

After loss to Ostapenko, Serena says good to be back

Abu Dhabi: Serena Williams was pleased to get back on court despite losing what was her first match in almost a year, against Jelena Ostapenko, at the Mubadala World Tennis Championship in Abu Dhabi on Saturday.

It was Williams’ first outing since winning her 23rd Grand Slam singles title at the Australian Open in January, while pregnant, before taking time out to have the baby.

But she failed to fully rediscover her rhythm and quickly dropped the first set 6-2 to the Latvian Ostapenko, the French Open champion. The 36-year-old American roared back to win the second set 6-3 before losing the decisive tiebreak 10-5 in the exhibition match.

Williams admitted her mind wandered to her child, Alexis Olympia Ohanian Jr., during the match. “Motherhood is phenomenal. I was a little worried out there and I looked at my camp and I was like ‘Is Olympia ok?’. But it’s really good,” she said.

“I’m excited, it’s good to be back on the court. This was such a good time for me. First matches back are always super incredibly hard, especially after having a baby but it was great, I’m glad I could do it here.” — Reuters



from The Tribune http://ift.tt/2En9wGQ

Comments

Related Posts

RCB की बॉलिंग का बनाया मजाक, एक-एक को कूटा, कौन हैं दिल्ली को एकतरफा जीत दिलाने वाले फिल साल्ट?

DC vs RCB: दिल्ली कैपिटल्स के बल्लेबाज फिल साल्ट ने रॉयल चैलेंजर्स बैंगलोर के गेंदबाजों को जमकर कूटा। मोहम्मद सिराज से लेकर वानिंदु हसरंगा तक उन्होंने किसी पर रहम नहीं किया। उनकी इस पारी की मदद से आरसीबी के खिलाफ दिल्ली ने 182 रनों का लक्ष्य 20 गेंद रहते हासिल कर लिया। https://ift.tt/c7b25g6

धोनी-धोनी... रौंगटे खड़ा कर देगा ये वीडियो, माही को देखने स्टेडियम में उमड़ी भीड़

IPL 2023: महेंद्र सिंह धोनी का यह आखिरी आईपीएल भी हो सकता है। अनुमान है कि वह कोलकाता नाइटराइडर्स के खिलाफ चेपॉक में अपना आखिरी मैच खेलेंगे, ऐसे में फैंस अपने थाला को सुनहरी विदाई देना चाहेंगे। https://ift.tt/h2UVRqe

होली में जीत का रंग उड़ाता है भारत, दो WC और एक ही विरोधी, युवी-धोनी बने थे रॉकस्टार

Holi 2023: होली के दिन भारतीय क्रिकेट टीम अपने पूरे रंग में होती है। इतिहास में ऐसे दो मौके आए जब इस दिन टीम इंडिया ने कोई मैच खेला हो। दिलचस्प है कि दोनों ही मैच वर्ल्ड कप में हुए और दोनों ही बार सामने कैरेबियाई टीम थी। https://ift.tt/neGTEMS

5 टीमें, 87 खिलाड़ी, 22 मैच... महिला क्रिकेट में आज से नए युग की शुरुआत

Women's Premier League: विमेंस प्रीमियर लीग के पहले सीजन की शुरुआत आज से होगी। पहला मैच नवी मुंबई के डॉ डीवाई पाटिल स्पोर्ट्स एकेडमी में होगा। 5 टीमों के बीच कुल 22 मुकाबले खेले जाएंगे। इस दौरान 87 खिलाड़ी एक्शन में दिखेंगी। 26 मार्च को फाइनल मुकाबला खेला जाना है। https://ift.tt/yAaMbBC