Skip to main content

Worlds medal has given me confidence: Bidhuri

Vinayak Padmadeo

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 30

For a competition bereft of star power, Gaurav Bidhuri stood out. But India’s newest World Championships medallist wasn’t in the ring. For the last two days, the bantamweight (56kg) pugilist has been watching from the sidelines as senior international boxing returned to these shores after over a decade.

The 24-year-old, who took a two-month break after his World Championships bronze medal in August-September last year, fell ill just weeks before the ongoing India Open and had to sit out of the $100,000 event. 

“I was supposed to take part in this competition but I was down with viral fever for 10 days,” said Bidhuri, who became the fourth Indian male to win a medal at the Worlds after Vijender Singh, Vikas Krishan and Shiva Thapa.

“I am feeling a little left out as this event is happening in India. To perform in front of home crowds is another feeling,” he added. “Look how the crowd is cheering for the Indian boxers. I wish I was there (in the ring).”

Breaking quarters barrier

Bidhuri was criticised in the past for failing to get a major medal. Right from his Junior World Championships days, he was losing at the quarterfinals stage. Even at the Asian Championships in April-May, he was beaten at the last-eight stage. “I began competing in the seniors in 2011 but I wasn’t getting any medal. I used to lose in the quarterfinals every time. I was criticised for those results. Some even raised objections as to why I was getting so many chances,” Bidhuri said.

“I changed my weight category and went up to bantamweight but lost in the quarterfinals in Asian Championships again. So, when I reached the quarterfinals in the World Championships, the same thoughts of losing again were weighing me down,” he said. “When I won the quarterfinal, I was so happy. I thought that the mental barrier was broken. After getting that medal, I am so positive. I feel I can do much better.”



http://ift.tt/2Fykmd4

Comments

Related Posts

दो हार से तिलमिला उठा ऑस्ट्रेलिया का पूर्व दिग्गज, अपने ही कप्तान को सुना दी खरी खोटी

Border Gavaskar Trophy:ऑस्ट्रेलिया को बॉर्डर गावस्कर सीरीज में भारत के खिलाफ लगातार दो हार मिल गई है। नागपुर और फिर दिल्ली में हुए टेस्ट को भारतीय टीम ने अपने नाम किया। इस हार के बाद ऑस्ट्रेलिया के पूर्व कप्तान और दिग्गज खिलाड़ी ने अपने ही कप्तान पैट कमिंस पर ही सवाल उठा दिये हैं। https://ift.tt/cY31Bsd

लखनऊ का नवाबी ठाठ, खोला जीत का खाता, मेयर्स और मार्क वुड के झटकों से दहली दिल्ली

IPL 2023: लखनऊ सुपरजायंट्स ने टूर्नामेंट का विजयी आगाज किया है। दिल्ली कैपिटल्स को अपने घर में 50 रन के बड़े अंतर से रौंदा है। https://ift.tt/7P19vGe

पहली गेंद पर ही मेगन ने जड़ से उखाड़ फेंका शेफाली वर्मा का डंडा, चारों खाने चित हुई भारतीय बल्लेबाज

RCB vs DC: महिला प्रीमियर लीग 2023 में दिल्ली कैपिटल्स का प्रतिनिधित्व करने वाली आक्रामक ओपनर शेफाली वर्मा के लिए यह टूर्नामेंट कभी ठंडा तो कभी गर्म रहा है। https://ift.tt/3cw0o5x