Skip to main content

Worlds medal has given me confidence: Bidhuri

Vinayak Padmadeo

Tribune News Service

New Delhi, January 30

For a competition bereft of star power, Gaurav Bidhuri stood out. But India’s newest World Championships medallist wasn’t in the ring. For the last two days, the bantamweight (56kg) pugilist has been watching from the sidelines as senior international boxing returned to these shores after over a decade.

The 24-year-old, who took a two-month break after his World Championships bronze medal in August-September last year, fell ill just weeks before the ongoing India Open and had to sit out of the $100,000 event. 

“I was supposed to take part in this competition but I was down with viral fever for 10 days,” said Bidhuri, who became the fourth Indian male to win a medal at the Worlds after Vijender Singh, Vikas Krishan and Shiva Thapa.

“I am feeling a little left out as this event is happening in India. To perform in front of home crowds is another feeling,” he added. “Look how the crowd is cheering for the Indian boxers. I wish I was there (in the ring).”

Breaking quarters barrier

Bidhuri was criticised in the past for failing to get a major medal. Right from his Junior World Championships days, he was losing at the quarterfinals stage. Even at the Asian Championships in April-May, he was beaten at the last-eight stage. “I began competing in the seniors in 2011 but I wasn’t getting any medal. I used to lose in the quarterfinals every time. I was criticised for those results. Some even raised objections as to why I was getting so many chances,” Bidhuri said.

“I changed my weight category and went up to bantamweight but lost in the quarterfinals in Asian Championships again. So, when I reached the quarterfinals in the World Championships, the same thoughts of losing again were weighing me down,” he said. “When I won the quarterfinal, I was so happy. I thought that the mental barrier was broken. After getting that medal, I am so positive. I feel I can do much better.”



http://ift.tt/2Fykmd4

Comments

Related Posts

Trinity Rodman's US Open moment reveals an old habit in sports broadcasting: introducing women by their relationships first

Trinity Rodman was introduced at the US Open as Ben Shelton’s girlfriend, frustrating fans who felt her Olympic and football achievements deserved greater recognition. Despite being an Olympic gold medallist, NWSL champion and highest-paid women’s footballer, Rodman was presented through her relationship with Shelton. The incident reignited debate over how female athletes are introduced and recognised. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/VHgl2km

Shelton’s Selective Brand Fortune: Slim deals power wealth beyond $15m prize money; net worth seen at $4m–$8m

Ben Shelton's net worth is estimated between four and eight million dollars. He has secured lucrative brand deals with Rolex and On Running. These partnerships are strategically chosen for authenticity and long-term growth. Shelton's career prize money has already surpassed fifteen million dollars. His marketability stems from athletic skill, youth, and personality. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lh6AXHE

Kelce Charity Spending Scrutinised: Watchdog questions foundation’s low charity outlay; team pledges reforms

Travis Kelce’s Eighty-Seven and Running Foundation is facing scrutiny over its reported spending between 2021 and 2024. The nonprofit raised $1.5 million and spent about $1.1 million, with $469,000 listed for management and $446,000 for charity. Kelce’s business manager Aaron Eanes disputed the figures, saying some charitable operational costs were misclassified. He said management fees dropped to zero in 2025 as the foundation works to improve transparency and governance. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/bfRerhz

Dylan Larkin Trade Speculation: Bruins’ bid reportedly blocked by no-trade list; search for center continues

Boston Bruins reportedly made a trade offer to acquire Dylan Larkin from the Detroit Red Wings. The offer was rejected, with speculations suggesting Larkin's preference for a fresh start elsewhere. Larkin provided a list of teams he is willing to join, excluding the Bruins. Meanwhile, the Bruins are focused on strengthening their center position for upcoming competitions. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/0jXpnwl

ईशान किशन ने अपने ही पैर कैसे मारी कुल्हाड़ी, टेस्ट का सपना देखते थे अब T20 से भी होंगे OUT!

Ishan Kishan: भारतीय क्रिकेट टीम के उभरते हुए विकेटकीपर बल्लेबाज ईशान किशन टी20 इंटरनेशनल में अपने फॉर्म को लेकर संघर्ष कर रहे हैं। हाल ही में समाप्त हुए न्यूजीलैंड के खिलाफ तीन मैचों की टी20 सीरीज में उन्होंने पूरी तरह से निराश किया। तीन मैचों में ईशान सिर्फ 24 रन बना सके। https://ift.tt/Ywn9PVs