Skip to main content

I want to play for 1-2 years more: Mary

New Delhi, January 28

London Olympics bronze medallist Mary Kom saw off Varsha Choudhary in her opening round match of the India Open International Boxing Tournament. The veteran did a professional job, barely hitting the top gear, as she won 5-0 in a unanimous decision. Varsha started with a flurry but Mary used all her experience to shut her out to enter the last eight in the 48kg category.

After her win, the 35-year-old said she intends to stay in the ring for at least a couple of years. She added that she had her sights on the 2020 Olympics. “I want to be an active boxer for other one or two years. Till then, I will try to do my best,” she said after her win. “There is a lot of talk about how I have aged and I may not be able to perform because of that. But it doesn’t matter to me. I will train harder and try to do well. In sports, you win some and you lose some. I don’t feel bad about what people say behind my back,” she added.

Mary Kom was circumspect talking about her long time goals, including her availability for the 2020 Tokyo Olympics. “I have been thinking about the 2020 Games. But all will depend on how fit I am then. If I don’t get injured then I see no difficulty but if I get injured and fail to cope up then I have to leave it,” she said.

In the day’s other bouts, Nikat Zareen beat fourth seed Neeraj (3-2) to enter the quarterfinals. Pinki Rani beat Meenakshi 4-1. In the men’s 91kg category, Sanjeet prevailed over Kazakhstan’s Rakhmanov Ongtalap 4-1. Manoj Kumar saw off Kenya’s Kimathi Jacob 5-0 in a unanimous decision in the men’s 69kg category. — TNS



http://ift.tt/2E2XTYs

Comments

Related Posts

Trinity Rodman's US Open moment reveals an old habit in sports broadcasting: introducing women by their relationships first

Trinity Rodman was introduced at the US Open as Ben Shelton’s girlfriend, frustrating fans who felt her Olympic and football achievements deserved greater recognition. Despite being an Olympic gold medallist, NWSL champion and highest-paid women’s footballer, Rodman was presented through her relationship with Shelton. The incident reignited debate over how female athletes are introduced and recognised. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/VHgl2km

Shelton’s Selective Brand Fortune: Slim deals power wealth beyond $15m prize money; net worth seen at $4m–$8m

Ben Shelton's net worth is estimated between four and eight million dollars. He has secured lucrative brand deals with Rolex and On Running. These partnerships are strategically chosen for authenticity and long-term growth. Shelton's career prize money has already surpassed fifteen million dollars. His marketability stems from athletic skill, youth, and personality. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/lh6AXHE

Kelce Charity Spending Scrutinised: Watchdog questions foundation’s low charity outlay; team pledges reforms

Travis Kelce’s Eighty-Seven and Running Foundation is facing scrutiny over its reported spending between 2021 and 2024. The nonprofit raised $1.5 million and spent about $1.1 million, with $469,000 listed for management and $446,000 for charity. Kelce’s business manager Aaron Eanes disputed the figures, saying some charitable operational costs were misclassified. He said management fees dropped to zero in 2025 as the foundation works to improve transparency and governance. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/bfRerhz

Dylan Larkin Trade Speculation: Bruins’ bid reportedly blocked by no-trade list; search for center continues

Boston Bruins reportedly made a trade offer to acquire Dylan Larkin from the Detroit Red Wings. The offer was rejected, with speculations suggesting Larkin's preference for a fresh start elsewhere. Larkin provided a list of teams he is willing to join, excluding the Bruins. Meanwhile, the Bruins are focused on strengthening their center position for upcoming competitions. from Sports News: Cricket Live Scorecard, Latest Cricket News, Football, NBA, NFL, WWE, NHL, MLB News & More https://ift.tt/0jXpnwl

ईशान किशन ने अपने ही पैर कैसे मारी कुल्हाड़ी, टेस्ट का सपना देखते थे अब T20 से भी होंगे OUT!

Ishan Kishan: भारतीय क्रिकेट टीम के उभरते हुए विकेटकीपर बल्लेबाज ईशान किशन टी20 इंटरनेशनल में अपने फॉर्म को लेकर संघर्ष कर रहे हैं। हाल ही में समाप्त हुए न्यूजीलैंड के खिलाफ तीन मैचों की टी20 सीरीज में उन्होंने पूरी तरह से निराश किया। तीन मैचों में ईशान सिर्फ 24 रन बना सके। https://ift.tt/Ywn9PVs